Dr Paul Lam and his team of tai chi and medical specialists have produced the most user friendly instructional DVDs for the Tai Chi for Health Programs. Using them is just like being in one of Dr Lam’s classes. A good way to enjoy learning his program is to attend one of the classes by his authorised instructors and use the DVD to supplement the lessons.
- If you have a chronic condition such as arthritis or diabetes, see below.
- If your reason for learning tai chi is to improve your mental and physical health – see Dr Lam’s recommendations.
- Or Dr Lam’s 3 best picks
You can try out a free lesson of any program.
If you have:
- Arthritis, fibromyalgia, MS, asthma / bronchiectasis or a stroke – Dr Lam recommends the Tai Chi for Arthritis program. It is supported by Arthritis Foundations worldwide; shown by many medical studies to reduces falls, alleviate pain, improves quality of life and better lung capacity.
- Poor balance to prevent falls, improve balance and health – Dr Lam recommends the Tai Chi for Arthritis too since it contains a fall prevention program, that is why the Centers of Disease Control and Preventions (www.cdc.gov) recommends it.
- A stroke, heart disease, injury, surgical procedure or tiredness and stress – Dr Lam recommends the Tai Chi for Rehabilitation program because it is very healing and anyone can learn it.
- Diabetes, heart-related conditions – Dr Lam recommends the Tai Chi for Diabetes program. It is supported by Diabetes Australia.
- Dr Lam recommends the Tai Chi for Osteoporosis program. It is supported by Osteoporosis AustraliaOsteoporosis –
- Back pain, or a weakening condition like chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia – Dr Lam recommends the Tai Chi for Rehabilitation program
- To de-stress or relieve depression – Dr Lam recommends the Tai Chi at Work or Tai Chi for Rehabilition
- Young children, to improve health and coordination – Dr Lam recommends the Tai Chi 4 Kidz program
Start with Tai Chi for Beginners or Tai Chi for Energy and then progress onto Dr Lam’s Intermediate Series. Tai Chi for Energy is a combination of Chen and Sun styles and is more vigorous than Tai chi for Beginners and slightly more challenging to learn.
The Intermediate Series is recommended for people with approximately 1 year’s tai chi experience and the Advanced Series is for those with two or more years’ experience.