On 2nd of April, the Dr Paul Lam Tai Chi for Health Institute (TCHI) Board announced:
“From the 1st May all instructors of the Tai Chi for Health programs who have completed an instructor training workshop will be required to register to become a TCHI Board certified instructor.”
This is a significant step forward to align the Tai Chi for Health Institute with similar professional bodies. It will provide more credibility and resources for the Tai Chi for Health vision. The goal is provide an opportunity for all instructors to have one unified, globally recognised and respected qualification.
Below are the frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Q What is the Tai Chi for Health Institute (TCHI)?
A: The Tai Chi for Health Institute was founded in 2010 by Dr Lam and many of his Tai Chi for Health colleagues with the purpose of empowering people to improve health and wellness through the Tai Chi for Health programs. Also to monitor the quality and standards of the training and to provide support for instructors. It is a non-profit organisation registered in Australia and governed by a democratically elected and unpaid board who volunteer their skill and time. >> more
Q What is a TCHI Board certified instructor?
A: A Board certified instructor is a person who has fulfilled the requirements, completed the training of a Tai Chi for Health program, adheres to the TCHI Code of Ethics and registered with the Tai Chi for Health Institute Board.
Q How can I become one?
A: Once you have completed your training or update workshop with Dr Lam or one of his authorised Master Trainers you will be entitled to register. An invitation with payment instructions will be sent to you by the Board. If you have not received your invitation two weeks after your training workshop, please contact your Master Trainer.
Q Why become a Tai Chi for Health Board certified instructor?
A: There are many good reasons. You can feel good about becoming a teaching member of the globally respected Tai Chi for Health Institute. Assurance to your students and employer that you are qualified and passionate about empowering people to improve their health and lifestyle, as well as:
- Be listed online with all other current Board certified instructors at the Tai Chi for Health Institute website Only currently Board certified instructors are listed.
- Belonging to a global organization supported worldwide for its quality of training on teaching the evidenced based programs. Comprehensive training material is available and all levels of instructors have intensive training. More than 35 published medical studies have shown the health improving effects of the Tai Chi for Health programs. The Tai Chi for Arthritis program is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (www.cdc.gov) for fall prevention. Health departments and many Arthritis Foundations around the world support the Institute.
- 25% discount on instructional material (DVDs, Charts, Books and CDs) from Tai Chi Productions when you spend over $200.
- 5-10% discount on selected workshops by Dr Lam and his authorized Master Trainers.
- Authorized to use the Tai Chi for Health Institute logo for promotion and business cards, you must be currently registered and adhere to the Code of Ethics. Full instructions will be given on registration.
- Use of workshop brochures, presentation PPT and materials provided by the Institute to promote your class/es.
- Ability to enter and edit your profile online at the Tai Chi for Health Institute website to post your photo, class/es, time and any relevant training and experience. These will be searchable through the internet. The Institute’s website is visited daily by thousands.
- Receive a digital certificate that can be forward to anyone who needs proof of your teaching qualification.
- An indication that you are supporting your institute and its purpose which is to empower people to improve their health and wellness.
Q Is there a fee to register?
A: Annual membership fee of $AUD25 (approx USD$19, or GBP£13). TCHI will send you a reminder each year. >>more
Q I am an instructor currently listed on the Institute’s website. What happens to my profile and benefits?
A: For all existing instructors including Premier Instructor, MTs and STs, your profile will still be online and benefits available until the first program needs an update. Reminders will be sent automatically 6 and 3 months prior. At that point you will be invited to register.
Q I am an instructor for several programs, do I pay a fee for each program?
A: One registration fee will cover all programs you have been trained to teach for one year. For example, if you are trained to teach Tai Chi for Arthritis, Tai Chi for Energy and Tai Chi for Diabetes, you will only be required to pay one annual registration fee.
Q How do I pay my fee?
A: When it is due you will be sent information on how to pay.
Q What currency are the fees paid in?
A: TCHI fees have always been charged in AU dollars. When you make the payment it will automatically be converted to your local currency. Paying anything by credit card on line generally incurs a small fee when you are not paying in your local currency. If in doubt please contact your credit card provider.
Q What is a Premier Board certified instructor?
A: A Premier Board certified instructor is the same as a Board certified instructor except for three things. Firstly, Premier instructors will be entitled to a 15% discount on any purchase of instructional material (DVDs, Charts, Books and CDs) from Tai Chi Productions, and a 35% discount for orders exceeding $200 after the discount has been applied. Secondly, your name on the online list would be more prominent with BOLD text. Lastly and more importantly, indicating your strong support for the Institute.
Q How can I become a Premier instructor?
A: Upon your invitation to become a Board certified instructor, you will have this option by paying an extra $20 at the time of registration.
Q I am a Premier instructor now, what will happen?
A: You will continue to be listed as a Premier instructor until the tenancy runs out in one year, then you would be invited to become a Premier Board certified instructor.
Q Would I still be awarded the embossed certificate at completion of the training or update workshop conducted by authorized MTs?
A: Yes. You will receive the special certificate with the embossed Tai Chi for Health logo as the certification of your successful training.
Q Would I be able to teach the Tai Chi for Health program without being TCHI Board Certified?
A: The Board certification is your license to use the title Dr Paul Lam’s Tai Chi for Health program/s, and to prove that you have been trained, meet the Board’s standards and are qualified to teach the program/s.
Many governmental and funding bodies require proof of an appropriate qualification to teach tai chi. Tai Chi for Health programs are backed by medical evidence. The Institute ensures all our Board certified instructors are well trained and qualified to teach these programs safely and effective, they are recognized and respected worldwide. Your participants can be reassured that they are in good hands.
Q When does this happen?
A: From 1st May 2016
Q How does this affect CEUs?
A: CEUs are related to the attendance of the training workshop. They are awarded by an outside body and will not be affected.