Registration CLOSED. See April dates for Yuma. Tai Chi for Arthritis, TCA for Falls Prevention Instructor Training & Re-certification Training with Heather Chalon, MPH
When and Where
|Date:||20th - 21st Oct, 2021|
|Time:||9:00am-5:00pm each day. 8:30am check-in|
Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention
What is Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention?
Dr Paul Lam and his team of medical and tai chi experts designed this program to be safe and effective for people who are at increased risk of falling. It will also provide health benefits and improve almost anyone’s quality of life.
Based on the Sun style of tai chi, Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention (TCAFP) is easy to learn, effective and safe. It improves flexibility, muscle strength, increases heart/lung activity, aligns posture, improves balance, and integrates the mind and body.
The TCAFP program includes warm up and cool down exercises, the teaching method, knowledge about arthritis and the cause of falls, and how to teach this program safely. This program is the same as the Tai Chi for Arthritis program with the addition of a specialized module to further enhance its efficacy in preventing falls.
Qualified participants who successfully complete the course will be eligible to become Board Certified to teach this program.
Thousands of people around the world have gained health benefits from the TCAFP program. Many scientific studies have shown that the program relieves pain, improves quality of life and make people feel better. Studies also shown the program prevent falls; that is why the Center of Disease Control and Prevention recommends it for this purpose. It is supported by many Arthritis Foundations including the USA, Australia and UK.
Reasons to Come
- Learn how to teach this program effectively and safely
- Discover how tai chi improves health and arthritis
- Learn Dr Lam's Stepwise Progressive Teaching Method
- Gain essential knowledge about arthritis and fall prevention
- Learn about the essential principles of tai chi
- Improve your level of tai chi in a positive, enjoyable and interactive environment
Anyone is welcome to attend, but in order
to be eligible to be certified as an instructor, please check
the recommended qualifications listed below.
- Physical therapists or physiotherapists
- Tai chi teachers or advanced students
- Exercise instructors
- Other similar professionals
Participants will receive either an attendance or instructor/leader’s certificate.
By the Completion of the Workshop you will:
- Know the Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention set at a deeper level
- Understand how tai chi improves health and relaxation and helps to prevent falls
- Have learned how to teach this program effectively and safely
- Have improved your tai chi skill and knowledge
- Have learned how to attract and retain more students
Wear loose comfortable clothes and flat shoes suitable for exercise.
NB: The name of the Master Trainer authorized by Dr Lam to conduct this workshop is displayed on the workshop location and details page.
Tai Chi for Health Program Updates
At this workshop instructors have an opportunity to update their other Tai Chi for Health certifications. Please contact the organising MT for details.
For Australia only
If you are currently qualified as an Instructor through the National Martial Arts Instructor Accreditation Scheme, you will be qualified as a Tai Chi for Health Instructor upon successful completion of the program. All other persons will be qualified as Leaders of the program.
Australian Physiotherapy Association
This course is accredited by the Australian Physiotherapy Association. For more details please contact the organiser.
This course is accredited by Fitness Australia. For more details please contact the organiser.
For USA only - Optional Continuing Education Hours Available
The American College of Sports Medicine’s Professional Education Committee certifies that “Tai Chi for Health Institute” meets the
criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status from (2018 December 2021). Approved Providers and their content reflect the
concepts of their respective organizations and do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of ACSM. Providership # 701292.
ACSM approved providership of this program does not imply endorsement of the sponsoring organization’s products/services.”
REGISTRATION PERIOD FOR THIS EVENT HAS ENDED. WE HAVE ADDED ANOTHER YUMA WORKSHOP APRIL 19-20, 2022. You can REGISTER and BEGIN PREPARING NOW.
Visit heatherchalon.com for additional workshop dates and to receive notifcation as new dates are scheduled for in person, virtual, hybrid workshops.
Thank you for taking a few moments to thoroughly read the following information before you register.
Tai Chi For Arthritis for Fall Prevention Instructor Qualification Training
Welcome! Thank you for taking this step for your own health and wellness in addition to gaining a powerful skill set for serving others in your community. We look forward to supporting your tai chi for health journey.
This workshop is designed to train participants to safely and effectively deliver instruction in the Tai Chi for Arthritis / Tai Chi for Arthritis for Falls Prevention (TCA / TCAFP) program to others. TCA is the Tai Chi for Health Institute's flagship program, recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for preventing falls and increasing overall health of participants. TCA is also recommended by Arthritis Foundations, National Council on Aging, Health and Wellness Agencies and Health Departments around the world.
A simple application form, questionnaire, and release/waiver will be sent to all who register.
Your preparation / pre-requisites:
- Participants study/practice a minimum of 20 hours is recommended, with the required Tai Chi for Arthritis video program (2 DVD set or online version), the Tai Chi for Arthrits and Falls Prevention Handbook and the Teaching Tai Chi Effectively book prior to the class, along with preparing and completing required assignment at least 10 days prior to workshop start date.
- Videos of you performing the TCA movements strongly encouraged as a tool for self discovery of tai chi forms and preparation accountability partnership, can be emailed to Heather for review prior to the workshop.
- By the end of our two days together we will be able to demonstrate basic ability to follow the program using the prescribed teaching method and proficiently demonstrate the warm up, cool down, basic 6 tai chi moves (DVD 1), extended 6 tai chi moves to the left. Further details for your time efficient preparation will be provided in your email welcome package after you register.
- All participants will receive a certificate. Those who need more time to be prepared will receive Participant certificate and work with MT to meet the requirements. Those who meet the requirements for certification will receive "Instructor Certification” with an invitation from Dr. Paul Lam/ Tai Chi for Health Institute to register online to become Board Certified Instructor with Tai Chi for Health Institute.
- Board Certified Instructor Annual fee (Australian $25, approx. US $18) is paid after workshop to TCHI. Please read http://taichiforhealthinstitute.org/faq-for-becoming-a-board-certified-instructor/
NOTE: For participants associated with Yuma County Public Health Services / Partners, please identify yourself in the comments part of the registration page. One fee has been arragned for your tuition, training materials, shipping. No need to order your own materials.
TCA / TCAFP:
- First time certification registration, Monday September 27, 5:00 pm AZ / Pacific time.
- Re-certification / current instructors, October 1
For new, first time certification select both Certified TCA and TCAFP Instructor options under Courses.
If you are already certified and are seeking re-certification, then select the options for TCA and TCAFP under Refreser Courses.
Seated TCA Update/Re-certificaqtion. This is NOT a Seated TCA first time certification workshop. If you have previously been certified, you may re-certify/ update by attending this workshop which will also deepend your current skills.
TCA Part 2 Re-certification: This is NOT a TCA2 first time certification training. If you are already certified in TCA2 and are seeking re-certification, select the TCA2 option under Refresher Courses.
NOTE: If you are already a certified TCHI instructor, you will need to login to the TCHI.org website before you register for this workshop on the same site. Use the "Lost Password" link to reset you password if you are having difficulties logging onto this website.
Required Training Materials for Certification: Not included in registration fee. Teaching Tai Chi Effectively (TTCE) book, Tai Chi for Arthritis DVD, and Tai Chi for Arthrits & Falls Prevention Handbook. A 20% discount code will be sent to participants upon receipt of registration and payment. NOTE: If you are joining us through Yuma County / Partners and identify yourself with registration - materials will be sent to you upon completion of your registration/payment.
Best Results: A minimum of 20 hours practice per course with the applicable DVD is recommended for the best learning experience.
Continuing Education Credits/Units: CEUs for Physical Therapists (PTs & PTAs), Occupational Therapists (OTs & OTAs), Registered Nurses (RNs), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), Licensed Mental Health Technicians (LMHTs), and CECs for American College of Sports Medicine Certified Professionals (ACSMPs). Additional fee applies.
Additional Re-certifications/Updates: Re-certification is every 2 years. Additional fee applies for each update/re-certification program in addition to the TCA / TCAFP workshop fee. Including Seated Tai Chi for Arthritis, TCA2.
Assignments must be completed and returned to Heather at [email protected] and approved, 10 days prior to the workshop.
Tai Chi for Arthritis/ Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention (TCAFP)
Yuma County Public Health Services / Partners: New, first time TCA and TCAFP Instructor Certification. Cost $350/person. Includes training materials and shipping.
New, first time TCA and TCAFP Instructor Certification. Cost $295/person. Does not include training materials. register, then receive 20% discount code.
Recertification/Update - DAY 2 REQUIRED. (recommend attendance on DAY 1 and DAY 2 - same fee either way). Brief pre-workshop assignmennt and demo video required.
Update TCA/TCAFP: Cost $185/person
Add STCA Update: Additional $50/person
Add TCA2 Update: Additional $50/person
Just for Fun - Skills Development for Current Instructors (participation only, no instructor certification). Cost $150/person (2 days)
Continuing Education Credits/Units Available. Cost $50.00 for 14 contact hours (2 days)
CANCELLATION FEE. $50 per person if cancelled within 3 days of registration in writing and confirmed, via email to [email protected] More than two weeks out from workshop, 50% refund. Within two weeks of workshop date, no refund.
Payment: You will not be asked for payment when you submit this registration. You will be emailed a confirmation by TCHI. Thank you for promtly taking the next step - to submit payment to the Master Trainer. NOTE: Registration is not considered complete until payment has been made.
1) PayPal, paypal.me/heatherchalon. Or, PayPal, Send Money Option using email address [email protected] NOTE: Please make a notation within the transaction to identify the purpose of the transaction "TCAFP Oct 20 21 2021 WS".
2) Zelle, Heather Chalon, [email protected]. NOTE: Please make a notation within the transaction to identify the purpose of the transaction "TCAFP Oct 20 21 2021 WS".
Yuma Civic Center, Lounge, 1440 West Desert Hills Drive, Yuma, AZ 85365.
COVID19 Safety precautions to include high ratio space / participant, ventilation, masks, sanitizer, name on your own chair, outdoor fresh air breaks, open to individual requests
Lunch 12:30-1:30 - A light lunch, snacks and refreshments will be provided. 15 minute breaks mid morning and afternoon. Participants must plan on staying on site and being present the entire time.
Training Hosted by Yuma County Public Health Services
General Questions should be directed to workshop coordinator: TCHI Senior Trainer Judy Safarewitz, [email protected]
TCHI Master Trainer: Heather Chalon, MPH, [email protected]
Phone numbers for Heather and Judy will be provided with your welcome email.
Check your spam/junk folder if you feel you have not received information within 2 business days of registering for this workshop.